|I pinned a 'circle' of velveteen to the hat to make folds. This was then tacked down with handsewing.||I used a cotton tape (in stash) to hold down the folds.
More handsewing. A curved needle is the best way to do this!
|I then pinned a 'donut' of velveteen to the brim, handsewing the inner edge to the tape.|
|I did not want a seam edge on the brim edge, so I again folded the edges of the 'donut' under the brim and handsewed down the folds and along the inner brim ege to hold the material to the hat base.||Amazingly, I had some petersham tape in my sewing cupboard. (had it for years). This not only provides a edge to hold the folds, but will also keep the material clean when being worn. It was handsewn in place.||I used two bits of trim to sew over the joing and existing tape.|
|Dafydd's device is black, purple and silver (white), so I used these colours. The black feathers were the only new thing bought for this project. I go them on sale after the Melbourne cup (cost 50c).||It still needed somtthing though. I rummaged through my sewing cupboard and found some 'jewelry bits' for a brooch to add to the trim. This will also help keep the feathers in placce.|
©(c) K Carlisle. November, 2007