no problems on the night.
Final touches included a
- pearl necklace (gift from my mother in law - she is
- pearl drop earrings which I made myself some years
ago. I had to make clip on ones as
- I can no longer have
- I made a pearl strand with a central pendant with
The basics of this style was a central part, front 'rolls'
string of pearls wrapped around possibly a plaited circle and a
pendant with a drop pearl.
Next time, I will wear the plaited circle higher. I have fine hair so
if I wanted to get 'more hair' for this style, I would have to use a
hairpiece. This has been done in different periods, including Italy
in the Renaissance. I am still trying to work out how to do the front
'rolls' successfully. I decided not to do the black twisted
additions. This would look a little silly on someone my age.
Finally, I really need spectacles to see and often get migraines if I
do not. I cannot wear contact lenses. So not wearing spectacles is
not really an option. Luckily, in my mundane job, obtaining
spectacles is not too difficult. I used an mundanely 'out of date'
larger round pair. There is a good 'Complete Anachronist'
(number 1 in fact) on Medieval and Renaissance Spectacles. This is
available through the SCA.
- Ricci, Elisa. Old Italian Lace Volume 1. William Heinemann,
London. 1913 available on line:
- Kovesi Killerby, Catherine, Sumptuary Law in Italy 1200-1500,
Oxford University Press. NY. 2002. ISBN:0-19-924793-5
- Piponnier, Francoise & Mane, Perrine Dress in the Middle
Ages, Yale University Press, New Haven, 1997. ISBN: 0-300-08691-1
- Crowfoot E, Pritchard F & Staniland K, Textiles and
Clothing 1150-1450, Boydell Press, Woodridge, 2001 (ed) ISBN:
- Arnold, Janet Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd, Maney,
Leeds, 1988, ISBN:0-901286-20-6
- Arnold, Janet Patterns of Fashion, MacMillan, London, 1985.
- Frick, Carole Collier. Dressing Renaissance Florence.:
Families Fortunes & Clothing. John Hopkins University Press.
Baltimore. 2002. ISBN: 0-8018-6939-0
- Jones, Ann Rosalind & Stallybrass, Peter. Renaissance
Clothing and the Materials of Memory. Cambridge University Press.
2003. ISBN: 0-521-78663-0
- Oonagh's Own: http://oonagh.actewagl.net.au/