have wanted to make a Bellatrix costume for some time. I have
researched her first costume and worked out how long it would take to
hand embroider the dress... a looong time! I saw the following pictures
from recent shoot at Shell Cottage from Harry Potter 7 and decided that
I would to this costume which is a little different to what most people
What I will need to learn/ do for the first time:
- how to applique and cut out for coat,
- sew leather straps on coat
- how to do a 2-part cast mould, for the buttons (I have only
done one part molds before)
I managed to find a few photos, on the internet,
showing details of the coat and costume. Firstly, I made the dress:
From the photos available, I assume the following.
- the collar is rounded and has a metal closure.
- neckline edged with white piping
- metal buttons in raven's head, similar to her necklace in
- front opening
- sleeves appear to be lined in white, with a split at the
bottom where it flares slightly.
- Skirt is longer. It is difficult to see exactly how long
via currently available photos so I used a maxilength which will look
Victorian and suit the lace up boots. It is alos similar to the length
of her previous dress.
I made a paper pattern, then made a calico toile to fit. I could not
find ready made white piping, so made my own to add. The buttons were
made from plasticine, then a 2-part silicon mold was made. Dave poured
the buttons with lead free pewter. I then handpainted the eyes with
gloss black minature paint. (You can buy them from me for $15 each
There is a corset with cutouts and metal
'dressing', worn over the dress. I went with leather, as Bellatrix has
a history of wearing corsets made of leather! The design was
extrapolated from the glimpses we had from the photos.
I marked out the cutouts and Dave cut them out for me, as my
wrist is well, stuffed!
We added square and 2 different sizes of round studs. I edged the
corset with a leather strip and metal boning at the back with the
Far right is the final corset.
Basic shape, cutout on sleeve and skirt, back seam
Raglan sleeves, Closure and Hood
From these we can see:
- an open front with 3 leather straps as closure, with silver
- front of bodice is not decorated
- Hood is large and edged with applique of transparent
- the back seam is peaked downwards
- sleeves are raglan
- edging of the skirt and sleeves have applique of
- Sleeves are just above elbow and
- skirt is above knee length
The pattern was made initially from paper, then made as a calico toile
Transparent material was pinned to the back of the satin and then
machine appliqued on the edge of the hood, edge of sleeves and front
and hem of the skirt. I then cut off the satin to reveal the
transparent material. The hood has this to the very edge (seen above)
but the sleeve and skirt have a solid edge around. (this makes the
'flappy bits' less fragile and also allowed for a hem to be attatched).
The Finished Outfit: Dress
Final Outfit: Coat
- leather laced bracers
- lace up boots
- raven ring in silver
- Bag.... from the first movie, I have discovered this
resembles Hermoine's bag (for which I now have some pictures). At the
time, I did not have close ups, so made one from left over velvet, cord
- wand by Alivans... I will have to made a Bellatrix one
I initially made this for Harry Potter 7 movie opening night: 23
of us attended in costume.
and then rewore it for the Australian Costumers' Guild Christmas party:
Things to change:
If you want to see
more on the Sirius Black Outfit
- remake the bodice to remove a few inches at the side seams.
I made it too loose and now, as I have lost a few kgs, it is way too
big. The original was more fitted.
- Remake the corset tighter (see above)