So we decided to make some more uniforms. We had the boots, the pants and now the jackets!
Here are the SGU uniforms for men and women:
I sort of cheated and used some known sized patterns then altered them.
There is a back sleeve seam visible in the first men's jacket. Finally, the positioning of the patch.
These appear to be on both male and female jackets. They start a little down the back seam (about where a yoke would finish) and are open down to the waist. They appear to fold towards the centre back. There appears to be overstitching down along the edge of teh pleat. (This makes it sit a lot flatter and stay in shape.)
The sleeve pocket with 'pleating' on the right sleeve on both the men's and women's jacket. You can also see the front packet flap in the second picture. It has a slight "V" shape to the bottom. The pocket (if they did have a functioning one in the costume) is inside the jacket and not visible, on the front. The third picture shows the 'invisible' pockets along the front seam of the men's jacket. This can be seen in some pics where he has his hand in the pocket. These pockets do not appear to be on the female jacket (which is more close fitting and would possibly not look as 'sleek'...)
Epulets: Can be seen on many of the pictures.
This can be seen on both men's and women's jackets with only minor differences... There appears to be a simple line of black stitching along side front, sideback seams, epulets and pockets and flaps. However, it you look closely at the mens jacket, the side front seam, below the pocket, is more similar in appearance to the unadorned sleeve seam. This also makes it much,much easier to add the invisible - zippered pockets on the front.
Above, the female jacket has a side front seam. The seams appear to be turned toward the centre front. The overstitching is all the way down along the side front and side back seams. There does not appear to be overstitching on the sleeve seam, the armhold seams (above rigth), collar seam or side seams.
Over stitching is on the front pocket flap, epulet and zip and the collar as seen above. (right you can see the armhole seam for the female). The name tape and airforce patch are sewn on with overstitching also.
To shoulder-pad or not to shoulder-pad...
I did in the end. The shoulder looks slightly squared off, going beyond the natural shoulder. If you look at the 'slightly bent' arm pics, there appears to be shaping to support shoulder pads. It also made the uniforms look more 'authoritative'.
1. sewing the back pleats. 2. sewing in the invisible zips
3. sewing the front pocket flaps. 4. sewing on the front pocket flaps.
5. sewing on the front zip 6. sewing the pocket and flap on the sleeve. 7. sewing in the sleeves.
Patches were ordered:
The finished items... and on the night (ACG Quizznight).
I like to finish off my outfits with the little things...
Dog tags: These are SG1 dogtags. followed by pics of SGU ones. We ordered some via the local camping store. (ours at the end).
THese are based on ones found in these pictures. Supposedly original from the series. I recreated ours on the computer and then laminated them. The aligator clips were purchased.
and I got really anal and made up a car pass...
(c). K.Carlisle, 2010.